July 1, 2011

Napa

I've waited 29+ years to go to Napa! Brandon surprised me with a trip to Napa for my 30th birthday. He had it planned perfectly and I didn't have to worry about a thing but packing my bags. Payton and Payne stayed with my sisters, Susanne and Sarah, and my parents.

We spent 5 days in CA. We left Saturday morning at 6 a.m. to head to the Valley!! We spent our first night (Sat) in San Francisco. It was 56 degrees when we got there! From 100+ to 56 was quite a treat! We toured Alcatraz, walked a ton, ate fresh fish (yum!), dined at restaurants that we'd never go to with kids and enjoyed every minute adjusting to having no kiddos around. The next day, we headed to Sausalito before heading to Napa. Sausalito is the cutest little town. It's on the bay and has cute little shops, farmers markets and the best tacos I've ever eaten!

We headed to Napa on Sunday afternoon. We checked into our hotel on the Napa River, in downtown Napa. We went to dinner that night, drove up in the mountains and crashed b/c we had a day full of wine tours the next day. I have been dying to go wine tasting in Napa and Monday was the day! We, along with 6 other people, went on a wine tour to 1 large winery, Trefethan, and 3 smaller wineries- Hill Family, GooseCross and Regusci. We fell in love with the Regusci winery and wines. I've never liked all the wines I've tasted from 1 wine maker until Regusci. Every wine was delicious! We got to drink directly from the barrel and the wine was nothing short of divine! We had the best time getting to know the people with us and drinking lots of wine! We'll have lots of Regusci wines to share soon!!

Tuesday we had no plans so we headed to St. Helena, Calistoga and Yauntville, all just north of Napa. We saw tons of different wineries but didn't stop to taste b/c it was raining. We had a delicious dinner at a French restaurant. They had hands down the best french fries I've ever eaten! Who knew someone other than Chick-fil-A could get it right?!

The next morning we packed up and headed back towards San Francisco to catch our afternoon flight back to Dallas. We left Napa early enough to go back through Berkley and see the other side of San Francisco. We ate lunch at a sandwich shop in San Francisco called Ike's Place. It's not your normal Subway sandwich shop. A good friend recommended it to Brandon and I'm so glad we took his advice! It was so good! I kept telling Brandon that there's no way a sandwich can be that good but I ate my words b/c their sandwiches are divine!

I am so glad B and I got to go on a vacation with just the two of us. He made it by far the best vacation I've ever been on. I hope turning 30 is as fun as Napa!!! Cheers!

 Pier 41 looking towards Alcatraz

 B in San Francsico

 Guards tower at Alcatraz

 In the 60's/70's Indians took over Alcatraz after the prison closed.






 Showers.

 Cell....Seeing this is enough to make me never run a red light again!! 


 Bullet holes from a shoot out with the wardens and prisoners



 Payne's Birthday, almost 50 years prior, was a memorable day

 The Full House house in San Francisco


 Danielle Steele's home


 Sausalito, CA





 On the way to Napa


 Napa River....looking out from our hotel

 Our hotel is on the right and then there were townhomes, restaurants and
shops all downtown off Main St

 Trefethan Winery

 Regusci!

2 comments:

Jaimee Granberry said...

Can't wait for your case of wine to come in so we can drink it together. (Not the whole case, but a glass or two...or three). I'm so glad you guys had a great time! Love you!

Amy said...

Glad y'all had fun! I would seriously fly there JUST for another sandwich from Ikes, yum!!!!